Skip to content
Monday, June 19th: The Badlands
- Leave AJ & Liz’s around 7am (after jumping the car…. Oops….) and head to The Badlands.
- Hike several short trails.
- See many goats and bison along the road through the park.
- Camp at Sage Creek Campground
- free primitive campground
- tent area surrounded by prairies of bison and prairie dogs
Tuesday, June 20th: Wind Cave National Park and Custer State Park
- Talk with camp neighbors in the morning exchanging travel tips (they have a traveling cat!)
- Head towards Black Hills
- Stop in Wall and visit Wall Drug
- Pick up miscellaneous gear at a shop in Rapid City and see “Art Alley”
- Facebook comment prompts a visit to Custer State Park… which prompts a visit to Wind Cave National Park
- Luck day! Arrive in time for “Wild Cave Tour” AND there are spots open for us.
- 4 hour guided tour of Wind Cave
- Group of 8 plus a guide crawling and climbing through the cave by headlamp.
- This cave is HUGE, so we only see a very small portion of it.
- No cameras, so no pictures!
- Definitely worth $30/person!
- Head to Custer State Park and drive along the Wildlife Loop road.
- Animals seen: TONS of bison, white tail deed, prong horn deer, and the “begging burros”
- People were walking over to the burros to pet them and feed them carrots.
- Even though Alex has a mild obsession and wants a miniature donkey, she restrained herself from partaking.
- After seeing a biker struggling several times over the last few hours, we stop and ask if he needs anything… food, water, a ride…
- He takes the offer for a ride to his car, so we make some room for him to “sit” and get his bike on the bike rack and strap Dave’s to the back of the car.
- We see his friend riding ahead and we stop to talk to him and get their car keys.
- Driving, driving, driving… WOW! he had a while to ride yet!
- Spend the night near French Creek trail.